|The cell tower on San Marino High School. It is behind the big gym and next to the swimming pool and football field.|
|The cell tower next to the classrooms/playground/lunch area, in the maintenance area, between Valentine and Huntington.|
- There are 5 carriers between the two towers.
- Verizon and Metro PCS's CDMA sites operate at 1900 Mhz microwave range
- The more carriers there are, the more RF energy emits from the antennas.
- The lower the antennas, the higher radiations to the nearby area.
- The site in Valentine was up around 2005-2006.
- The site in high school was completely Feb. 2008.
- The contracts are about 25 years.
- FCC regulation is outdated, human biologic effects have been shown to occur way below this level.
- Children are at great risk due to their thin skulls and scalps. Radiation can penetrate deeper into the brain of children and young adults.
- Extreme close distance of the cell site to our students and faculties (from 10 meters)
- Great number of people get exposed (around 2500 students and faculties)
- The young age of the children get exposed (5 yrs old and up)
- The length and frequency of exposure (up to 6.5 hours a day, 5 days a week since the cells were up and till ....
Studies shows that people experience certain short term effects from cell tower radiations, including headaches, sleep disorders, poor memory, mental excitation, confusion, anxiety, depression and appetite disturbance, etc.Lab findings show harmful effects of the cell phone frequency radiation such as increase of single and double-strand DNA breaks, which is not all repairable; the damage could be passed on to future cells which could predispose them to becoming cancerous.
They also could cause protein change in skin, DNA damages, brain cell damage and hormone change.
Action: support our effect to ask school board and school district to remove cell sites from our schools with the least financial penalty.Statistics from many cities and countries show significant cancer rate increase and premature death for people live within 400 meters radius for 5-10 years compared with people live farther away from cell sites.
A few references on the cell tower effect and School districts fight to keep cell tower away from children:
Mortality by neoplasia and cellular telephone base stations in the Belo Horizonte municipality, Minas Gerais state, Brazil. 2011 SEPT. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21741680
Schools banned cell sites:
Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors Resolutions